Sunday, May 13, 2012

Amorphophallus peanafolia

I have wanted to start a blog for a long time about tropical plants. I'm happy to say that today I can check this off of my lists. 

I currently reside in Sarasota, Florida, which has a sub tropical climate year round. The climate has given me an opportunity to grow various tropical plants that I only dreamed of growing when I lived up north. 

I currently grow heliconias, gingers, tropical bamboo, Alocasia, palm trees, rare fruit and nut trees, and many others. 

Please feel free to send me your questions and I will be happy to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Mr. Stinky 




Today I want to share a plant that I spotted blooming today. It is the Amorphophallus peanafloia. I call the plant, "Mr. Stinky". 

The plant is also called the elephant foot yam or corpse plant which native to the Asian tropics, from India to New Guinea and Northern Australia.  

The  flower smells like a rotting dead animal, which attracts flies, the primary pollinator.  The huge, bizarre bloom appears from the dormant underground corm in March or April, then dies back as the single stem and leaf pushes up to its mature height of 6-7 feet. 

You can see in my photographs I have two blooming. Surrounding the two in bloom are more smaller plants starting to emerge from the soil. After Mr. Stinky blooms I will dig them up and divide them and offer some for sale. If you want to purchase one let me know as supplies will be limited.




No comments:

Post a Comment